Monday 17 May 2010

Flags of New Zealand

The New Zealand flag is important to our country. It represents who we are and it shows our pride.

The New Zealand flag is made up of three main parts.
  1. The Union Jack; this means that we are part of the British Empire.
  2. The four red stars with the white border; this is the Southern Cross.
  3. The blue background; this tells everyone that we are an island nation surrounded by the sea.
Some people want the New Zealand Prime Minister to hold a referendum so that we can choose a new flag to represent us all.

The current New Zealand flag has been flying since 1902, but there were other flags before. There was the United Tribes of New Zealand from 1834 until 1840. Then there was the Union Jack flown from 1840 until 1902.

Recently there has been a new flag - the Tino Rangatiratanga flag which was flown this year officially with the New Zealand flag to mark Waitangi Day.

What are your thoughts?
Should New Zealand have a new Flag?
We would like to hear your comments.

This report was written by Ebenezzer, Heaven, Osaiasi, Lika, Tevita, Teresa-Mae all members of reading group Mahy taken from School Journal Pt 1 No 1 2006

     


7 comments:

  1. I would love to hear your ideas about our flag. Do you know of any other countries that have changed their flags recently? Maybe we do need a change of flag - something completely different - Just like we have changed our school logo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mrs Kelly. I would love to see NZ with a new flag - personally, I love the black flag with a silver fern on it as I think the rest of the world would recognise it as a real image of "NZ". What do you think Room 6?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia Ngapera20 May 2010 at 22:44

    Kia Ora rm6. I loved reading about the origin of our NZ flag and the information was so interesting. Personally I'm torn between the 2 idea's. I would like a flag that is recognisable as Ms Hansell suggested, but the current flag is so familiar to me and I like the different symbols on our flag and what they represent. Any thoughts anyone???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ofa now i have read this story,you have used questions and descriptive language.I like the way you've explained what the symbols of the New Zealand flag are.For example:the Union Jack means that we are part of the British country.Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow isn't my group fantastic.i learnt alot doing this it was so interesting well the facts were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow isn't my group fantastic.i learnt alot doing this it was so interesting well the facts were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the best group ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving us a positive, thoughtful and helpful comment!